An Old Friend

Thursday, August 29, 2013

It goes without saying that we have a busy schedule, but with my husband's job change we have had to tweak our schedule a bit which always requires a little more effort until it becomes routine - hence my absence. 
 
On a high note, the husband is working with a new company, the bub slept until 5:30 AM this morning, the bug's arm rash was not poison ivy (but I couldn't convince her school of this until after going to the pediatrician), and I have done Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for 4 consecutive days!
 
I should probably elaborate on each of the points above, but I actually started writing this post for a different reason.  I've felt a small absence in my life and feel the need to pay homage to a far-away friend - Brookline Booksmith.
 
When I lived in Brookline, MA, I become fond of (okay, obsessed with) a little gem-of-a-bookstore called "Brookline Booksmith."  Walking into the ground-level store, you are happily greeted by a feature of the Times Top Ten in both Fiction and Non-Fiction.  This was eye-candy to my bookish soul. 
 
The front tables were full of other best-sellers that were generally did not disappoint.  Then walking past the entrance and into the stacks, you could peruse the shelves and find books labeled as "staff picks," peaking your appetite for genres you may not have considered.
 
Sounds like a dream, right?  Well it gets better.  Walk into the basement (called the Used Book Celler) and you come upon stacks and stacks of well-organized, well-loved books.  My secret, as I was often skimping and saving, was that I would find a book I liked upstairs and check to see if it was available downstairs for a fraction of the price.
 
Oh Brookline Booksmith, I wish you existed in every city but where is the charm in that? 
 
While lamenting the fact that I can't walk down the street to the booksmith, I searched online for my favorite bookstore to see how it was doing.  To just say "hi, how are ya" and "I'm thinking about ya, friend."  And lo and behold, they have a website!  brooklinebooksmith.com 
 
I about shed tears of joy, but then I got myself together, got lost in the staff picks, and said a big "thanks" for the fact that my favorite store is again at my fingertips!  It is definitely a good day. 
 
site design by designer blogs