A Perfect Pair

Friday, July 26, 2013



My newest favorite dynamic duo (I mentioned my love of avocado and cheese back here) is a mug of dark roasted coffee alongside my husband's heavenly homemade banana bread.  I reserve this special snack for afternoons when I need a little pick-me-up (hmm...every afternoon this week so far) and it's guaranteed to bring a few magical moments to an otherwise hectic day.

I'm not exactly a coffee snob because, barring flavored coffee, I will drink pretty much anything that is brewed.  But my ideal cup of coffee is Peet's House Blend (deep roast) served with a touch of cream.

And I'm not sure what makes the banana bread so amazing other than the fact that my husband makes it (double-amazing) and we have a convection oven.  Maybe this batch of bananas was extra brown and mushy?  (yuck.)  But I do think it's important that the bread is homemade and not from a box.  The fake flavor that makes me cringe the most is banana, but I may be alone on that.

Now the trick to enjoying this pairing to the fullest is definitely to alternate drinking and eating until you are finished.  If I was more of a foodie then perhaps I could tell you why the flavor-profile of the banana bread is brightened by the nutty roastiness of the coffee, but your guess is as good as mine. 

Alls I know is it is crazy. good.

And here is the banana bread recipe:

3-4 ripe bananas mashed
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or 325 convection).  In a large bowl, hand mix butter into mashed bananas.  Stir in sugar, egg, and vanilla.  Sprinkle in the baking soda and salt and combine into mixture.  Lastly, add the flour and our into a buttered 4" x 8" loaf pan (to melt the butter, I place the butter in the pan and the pan in the oven - then you get melted butter and a greased pan!).  Bake one hour and cool on a rack before removing bread from pan. 

Enjoy!

 
site design by designer blogs